This page last updated: 2/18/2014
Ohio Statewide 2014 Floodplain Management Conference
August 27-28, 2014
Call for Abstracts
“Strengthening Communities through Floodplain Management”
Download the Call for Abstract Submission form and information
OFMA is seeking presentations for this conference that focus on the following:
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Flood Insurance
- Flood Hazard Mapping
- Flood Mitigation
- Structural Flood Control (Dams, Levees, etc…)
- Data, Engineering, & Modeling
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Water Resources Management
- Education & Outreach
- Green Infrastructure & Stormwater Management
- Building Code
The Call for Presenters is open to anyone interested in making a presentation to the conference. Submissions will be reviewed by the Conference Planning Committee and selected based on content and relevance to floodplain management. Submissions must be received by March 31, 2014 to be considered for presentation at the conference. Incomplete or late submissions may be refused.
• Submissions must be concise, limited to 500 words, and provide an accurate description of the policy, educational, scientific, engineering, or technological material to be presented at the conference.
• Submissions must be accompanied by the Presentation Submittal Form, which can be obtained from the ODNR website at: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/17934/Default.aspx
• The Presentation Submittal Form must be completed and forwarded to the Conference Chair along with the biographical sketch(s) of the author(s), and the summary of the Presentation.
• Submissions should be forwarded by email to email@example.com as a Microsoft Word attachment. (You will receive a return email to confirm that your submission has been received. If you do not have email or internet access, or have other questions, contact Conference Chair Alicia Silverio at 614-265-1006.)
Authors selected as Presenters:
• will be notified of acceptance of the presentation by April 11, 2014.
• must provide a copy of the presentation to the Conference Chair at the conference.
The Statewide Conference will offer three tracks to accommodate attendees and their various levels of floodplain management knowledge and experience. As the only floodplain management conference in Ohio, this annual event attracts a broad audience including local, state and federal government officials, engineers, consultants, planners, related non-profit organizations, and involved citizens. Please develop your presentation using the sort of detailed and useful material that you would like to have presented to yourself. Presentations that will interest the audience and generate conversation are encouraged. Presentations focused on delivering a “sales pitch” approach will not be accepted.
Length and focus of presentation
Presentations will be allotted 30, 45, or 60 minute sessions, unless otherwise indicated on the agenda. Please emphasize conclusions and recommendations in your presentation based upon your professional experience(s).
Authors selected as Presenters will use laptop computers and LCD projectors provided on-site, utilizing the Microsoft PowerPoint program. Additionally, each presentation must be provided to the Conference Chair at the conference via USB flash drive. A moderator will monitor each breakout session. There will be no extra time between speakers; therefore ‘swapping out’ personal equipment is strongly discouraged. Laser pointers will be available for use.
Presenters are responsible for their own hotel, air, and other travel arrangements. Conference facility and accommodations information will be posted at: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/17934/Default.aspx
Display materials and handouts
All Presenters are encouraged to provide the Conference Chair with handouts of the information delivered during their presentation for distribution to Conference Attendees. These handouts must be submitted to the Conference Chair by August 15th, 2014. Presenters may also bring books, reports, pamphlets, handouts, and other materials that may be of interest to the audience.
Conference Background Information
The Ohio Statewide Floodplain Management Conference is an annual training event that focuses on various elements of floodplain management, such as regulations, insurance, mapping, engineering, and natural benefits. The conference is intended to develop and expand the capabilities of floodplain management professionals throughout Ohio. Conference sessions are designed to provide local floodplain managers with information and skills necessary to implement effective floodplain management programs within their respective communities.
The Ohio Statewide Floodplain Management Conference is a cooperative effort between the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR), and the Ohio Floodplain Management Association (OFMA).
Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) Refresher course (August 26) attendance provides the following:
- 6 Continuing Education Credits (CEC) toward Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) Certification through the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM)\
Conference attendance (August 27-28) provides the following:
- 12 Continuing Education Credits (CEC) toward Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) Certification through the Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM)
- 12 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours for Registered Professional Engineers
- 8 Continuing Education Credits for Building Officials by the Ohio Board of Building Standards (BBS)
All conference information will be posted on this website. For questions about this conference, please contact ODNR at 614-265-1006.
The Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) examination will be offered:
- Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at ODNR
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 at the Doubletree Columbus/Worthington
The Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) Refresher Course will be offered:
- Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at ODNR
Visit www.floods.org for more information regarding the CFM Exam and Course.
The conference will be held at:
Dates to remember:
The Doubletree Columbus/Worthington
175 Hutchinson Avenue
Columbus, OH 43235
If you have any questions regarding the 2014 Ohio Statewide Floodplain Management Conference, please contact Alicia Silverio at 614-265-1006 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
||Call for Abstracts Submissions due
||Presenters Notified of Presentation Acceptance
||Registration Cancellation Deadline
||CFM Refresher (@ ODNR)
||CFM Exam (@ ODNR)
||Ohio Statewide Floodplain Management Conference – Day 1 (@ Doubletree Columbus/Worthington)
||Ohio Statewide Floodplain Management Conference – Day 2 (@ Doubletree Columbus/Worthington)
||CFM Exam (@ Doubletree Columbus/Worthington)
||OFMA Golf Outing