Ohio’s Mine Safety Training Center
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Mineral Resources Management is committed to ensuring exemplary workplace safety for Ohio miners and raising awareness of potential hazards in the industry.
The Ohio Mine Safety Training Center is where miners from throughout the state and the region, local first-responders and others who conduct business in and around mines receive life-saving training that enhances mine safety, reinforces accident prevention programs and, in turn, helps to strengthen Ohio’s mining industry.
The Mine Safety Training Center, 43029 Industrial Park Rd. in Cadiz, has two 158’ x 200’ simulated mines that provide venues for vital hands-on training. The mines can be manipulated to provide differing ceiling heights and visibility levels (light and smoke) for more realistic training opportunities. There are also four classrooms on site, which allow MRM staff to conduct training sessions regarding the Ohio coal industry and mine safety.
Bolstering Ohio’s Mine Safety Program
The Mine Safety Training Center provides these extraordinary benefits to MRM’s Mine Safety Program, which promotes safe mining practices for the protection of miners:
- Allows mine rescue teams to train in a smoke-filled environment as would be found in an underground mine emergency;
- Allows for multiple rescue teams to train simultaneously;
- Provides hands-on fire fighting exercises for rescue teams;
- Allows command personnel to train on emergency response drills;
- Provides a host site for Mine Rescue Training Competitions.
Enhancing Safety Inspections and Accident Prevention
MRM inspectors conduct safety checks at all Ohio mine sites and investigate mining accidents. Information collected during the investigations is analyzed and used to prepare recommendations for prevention of similar accidents. The Mine Safety Training Center provides these benefits to inspectors:
- Allows inspectors to receive training in a classroom setting and through hands-on activities;
- Allows mine supervisors to attend training that ensures proper safety examinations are conducted at their sites.
Guaranteeing Top Notch Mine Safety Certification
Certification is an essential part of promoting and maintaining the safety and productivity of Ohio's mining community. MRM conducts certification testing for a variety of underground and surface mining positions and assists in the training that helps prospective applicants acquire the knowledge and skills needed to become certified. The Mine Safety Training Center provides valuable tools for certification:
- The simulated mine is used as a hands-on part of the examination to become a certified foreman in underground mining;
- Electrical equipment is used for hands-on testing to ensure that electrician certification covers all aspects of mining.
Upgrading Mine Safety Training for All Ohio Miners
The Mine Safety Training program improves health and safety conditions of Ohio's mines. In an effort to reduce accidents, fatalities and mining-related illnesses, Ohio miners and contractors are trained to recognize and respond to safety and health hazards. The Mine Safety Training Center is instrumental in this training:
- Using the mine simulator, all underground coal miners receive safety training in a smoke-filled environment to get a true impression of how to escape a mining emergency;
- Using the simulator also allows hands-on fire fighting exercises and prepares new miners for work in underground mines;
- Taking advantage of the classrooms provides great learning environments for underground and surface coal miners who are going through book training.