Ohio State Parks SwimSafe! beach safety program, begun in 2000, remains focused on its slogan, “Keep an eye on the kids!”
Swimming is a staple of summer fun and includes getting everything for a fun day at the beach ready ahead of time - sun lotion, snacks, etc. And once at the beach, Ohio State Parks reminds parents, guardians and all adults to keep an eye on children when they are in the water. It only takes a moment for a fun family outing to turn into a tragedy.
To fully enjoy a safe outing at a park beach, follow these tips:
- Swim only in designated areas at the beach or lake
- Use good sense and keep a close watch on young children while they are in the water
- Use the buddy system and designate one member of your party to remain on the beach to watch those who are swimming
- Exercise caution since lakes, unlike pools, may have murky water making it difficult to see drop offs
- Bring a cell phone to make an emergency call if necessary
- Take regular breaks and relax on the beach
- Leave alcoholic beverages at home when you come to the beach. Swimming and drinking do not mix.
So enjoy Ohio State Parks beaches this summer, obey park rules and keep an eye on the kids!
Department of Health Beach Monitoring
Updates on Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)