Design Drawings of Project: Click for larger image.
|Plan view before removal
||Cross section before removal
||Plan view after removal
||Cross section after removal
1. Dam Name: Nelson Park Lowhead Dam (DAM ID #9)
2. Estimate height of dam in feet 4 ft.
3. Dam Type:
a) earthfill dam ____
b) concrete arch dam ____
c) gravity dam ____
d) masonry dam X
e) timber cribs ____
f) other, please explain: __At first it was believed to be entirely made of concrete and rebar, but once the dam was breached it was discovered that the majority of the dam was comprised of various sizes of rock that were grouted together. The rock was contained in a concrete shell.
4. Location Description: On Alum Creek at Nelson Park near river mile 8.5. Approximately 0.3 mile north of Clifton Avenue.
5. Year Constructed: 1930’s (Removed November 2008)
6. Dam Owner:
a) public X
b) private X
c) abandoned: ____
7. Dam Function:
a) generate hydropower ____
b) irrigation ____
c) domestic water supply X perhaps at one time, but it had not been for several years.
d) navigation ____
e) flood control ____
f) recreation X
g) industrial water supply ____
h) unknown: ____
8. What repairs have been done to the dam? Since there was a section that was made of concrete and rebar, it must have been repaired. There is no documentation of this repair. In the 1990’s it was modified with derrick stone on the south facing portion of the lowhead dam in order to break up the vortex that created a drowning hazard.
9. Reason(s) for Removal:
a) aesthetic enhancement: X
b) fish and wildlife habitat improvement: X
c) cost savings ____
d) community revitalization: ____
e) public safety hazard: X
f) water quality improvement: X
g) recreational improvement: X
h) alternative to dam ____
10. Project Sponsor (who initiated project): Friends of Alum Creek and Tributaries. Any questions please contact Kim Williams, FACT Watershed Coordinator 2820 Watkins Road, Columbus, OH 43207 phone 614-409-0511 email@example.com. For information and pictures concerning lowhead dam please visit: http://www.friendsofalumcreek.org/sitev2/lowheaddamremoval.html
11. Dam Removal Funding Sources:
a) federal __X__
b) state: X OEPA 319 NonPoint Source
c) local governmental agencies ____
d) other (please explain) _________
12. Cost of Dam Removal: $132,000.00
13. List all Contractors by Name, include Address and Telephone #:
- Burgess and Niple, Inc., 5085 Reed Road, Columbus, Ohio 43220 phone 614-459-2050 Lead project manager for Burgess and Niple, Katherine Fontaine
- The Righter Company which was contracted by B&N.
14. Permits Required:
a) federal X US ACOE Nationwide Permit 27
c) municipal X access agreement to enter CRPD property, and curb cut permit to enter from the road
d) Private property access agreement was required and obtained since the landowner owned to the middle of the stream.
15. Dam Photographs:
a) before removal: X
b) during removal: X
c) after removal: X
16. Problems Encountered:
a) before removal: None
b) during removal: None
c) after removal: None For discussion of challenges please contact FACT at 614-409-0511
17. Before Removal:
a) Estimated Reservoir Area in acres: 1 acre
b) Composition of river bed (e.g., sand, pebbles, boulders, bedrock):
for the most part silt, but after removal pebbles, cobbles and boulders etc..
c) Types of Fish caught in the river:
carp, white sucker, bluntnose minnow, green sunfish, longear sunfish
d) Water Quality
i) behind the dam Good____ Fair: X Poor______
ii) below the dam Good____ Fair: X Poor______
Below the Nelson Park lowhead dam, the pooled water from Wolfe-Academy Park lowhead dam extended up to RM 7.7. Thus Wolfe-Academy Park lowhead dam combined with the Nelson Park lowhead dam formed a continous pool for nearly 2 river miles.
Not in attainment with the Clean Water Act water quality standards.
18. Were any studies of the river conducted before the dam was removed? Yes
If yes, who conducted the studies and who is the contact for obtaining them?
Chuck Boucher at OEPA conducted IBI and QHEI: Chuck.Boucher@epa.state.oh.us
Katherine Fontaine, Burgess and Niple, conducted ICI
19. Have studies been conducted on the river after the dam was removed to
document changes in the river?
No not yet. Hopefully, follow up studies will be done.